"Speech is an arrangement of notes that will never be played again."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald


I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.
-Alan Watts

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Recent Acquisition / Lovely Day for a Time Travel

    This morning shortly after having breakfast at Skylight Diner with my mother who decided to visit this morning I decided to walk back home. I had just made it maybe, half way and I stopped at an open air flea market, browsed for all of 35 seconds and heard my name called. To my pleasant surprise it was my good friend and New York based photographer and all around everything vintage encyclopedia, Ruby Johnstone.  For a good portion of the day we strolled about inspecting a very large, very well stocked vintage flea market that was housed inside two floors of a parking garage. This amazing phenomenon occurs every weekend, for the whole weekend, all day. Why I hadn't discovered this recurring time capsule is still unbeknownst to me. While there both Ruby and myself where overwhelmed needless to say and could hardly contain ourselves. Now, to give you an idea of my companion for the day, miss Johnstone is decked out in full 40's fashion with her striking, long, jet black hair, eye catching vintage skirt and about half an arm covered in some of the best bakelite bangles I've seen. (granted before today hers have been virtually the only ones I've seen). A walking attraction to the crowds and vendors out today. Suffice it to say that I enjoyed myself as poor Ruby was constantly bombarded with comments or questions about her hairstyle, outfit, etc.  I was simply tagging along because I love vintage things and technology that's essentially been phased out. Also because seeing relics (gems) from the past always inspires me.  Among the many highlights of our day we met an old 'retired' drag queen and had an enjoyable chat with him.
   Ruby was, essentially, on a mission to purchase inventory for her soon-to-be vintage store. She made off with some great deals by the end of the day.  I myself had to hold back because I have a tendency to overspend a great deal even after all haggling is said and done I end up leaving an arm and a leg behind.  Today however, was a great day for my wallet. What I've got pictured below are a pair of spectacles (Date unknown [I'll ask Ruby]).  The most amazing thing is that for close to close-mid range sight they are almost my perfect prescription...minus the astigmatism fix in my right eye.  In fact I'm sitting here writing this while wearing them and everything is as clear as I could ask for.  I've even included a silly little self portrait for you of myself fashioning my new spectacles (pay no mind to the disheveled hair). If any of you are interested as to the location of this flea market I believe it's somewhere around 24th and 6th...just walk about on a Saturday and you're bound to find it.



Best,


-S.


P.S. Next flea market to check out: GreanFlea

No comments:

Post a Comment