"Speech is an arrangement of notes that will never be played again."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald


I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.
-Alan Watts

Friday, June 17, 2011

Places of NYC: Sunflower Diner

    Tonight is a night of silent films for me but before settling in for the night I decided to grab some good eats so I set out to see what I could find. While out I stumbled across Sunflower Diner. Here is a diner that eats like a restaurant. Not one of those glitzy, high class restaurants but nonetheless it serves up larger portions than you'd assume. Sunflower Diner is located on the corner of 26th street and 3rd avenue (359 3rd Ave).  Albeit it's a bit on the pricey side with a cup of coffee starting at a buck sixty while the rest of your meal steadily climbs after that. However you see that everywhere in midtown Manhattan, eeeveryone wants your money over your patronage.  I just ordered a simple Eastside Burger 'delux' (Burger, onions, mozzarella, green peppers, and mushrooms). The delux adds a generous portion of french fries, lettuce and tomato, as well as a bowl, not cup, bowl of cole slaw. Now that ran me a little less than eleven bucks but the size of it made up for the price. Other local diners normally charge over nine bucks to make it delux but the serving size is smaller so I wasn't put off too much by that, I was after all, out for dinner and not lunch.  It's a Friday night so everyone seems to be filling the nearby bars and clubs so I was able to enjoy a less than crowded Sunflower Diner.  I ordered a cup of coffee with my meal cause I've got a decent amount of movies watching to go through tonight and because it's a diner... c'mon it's what you do.  Tonight I'm only posting images I shot with my cell phone camera but I also took several with other cameras I had on me at the time and i'll come back and post them at a later date.  As the night drove on I decided to be on my way, asked for the check and it came to a total of $13.15 which for a dinner in midtown isn't bad in comparison. Sure, there are other places such as the lower east side in which that would seem quite expensive but hey, I'll take this for its convenience and atmosphere.  I forgot to mention that they've had the best coffee of any diner I've been to thus far.






Amenities of Sunflower Diner:
-Windowed dinning are on the street
-Glass glasses rather than plastic ones
-Peppermint after dinner mints, toothpicks, and moist towelettes at the register
-Friendly staff who seem to keep up with 'the regulars'
-Not even a hint of agitation if you decide to stay for say, over 45 minutes with only a cup of coffe on your table.


Best,


-S.



P.S. Tonight's list of movies includes the following:
City Lights (1931) -An incredible silent comedy written and directed by as well as starring Charles Chaplin
Nosferatu (1922)
M (1931 talkie) - Fritz Lang crime thriller

No comments:

Post a Comment