"Speech is an arrangement of notes that will never be played again."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald


I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.
-Alan Watts

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Old Stamp "Karl-Marx-Stadt"

Here's a rather interesting stamp I recently acquired. I was over my grandmother's house one day and she had just received an anonymous donation of old stamps. In fact, she received an entire grocery bag full of them. Now, I'm no stamp collector, but might as well become one because I find many of these stamps quite interesting. This being one of them:  (keep in mind the stamp is only 29mm wide from blue border to blue border)

Right click and select "open in link in new window." Notice how they took care in printing even the smallest of details, the lettering of the background text. It reads Proletarier Aller Lander Vereinigt Euch! which roughly translates to Workers of the World Unite! It's displayed in multiple languages, even english. I find it interesting that such care would be taken to ensure that the text is legible even though without enlarging no human eye could read it. I had to scan it in at 64000 ppi in order to get an enlargement with the largest width being 18 inches.









No comments:

Post a Comment