"Speech is an arrangement of notes that will never be played again."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald


I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.
-Alan Watts

Saturday, December 3, 2011

A Very Interesting Book Review

A "friend" of mine (at least by Facebook's standards), Makenzie Wark recently wrote a new book called The Beach Beneath the Street. I'm not going to give you my opinions on the book cause I've not yet read it. However I will direct you to an article reviewing it. This article is of particular interest to me because of the standard in which it's presented. It's a story, more or less, of two characters who meet up and discuss the book in detail. It's formatted much like a play, or the transcript of an interview. Now, I've read interviews before and found them to span the full spectrum of the mundane unless of course, the interviewee has interesting things to say, not always the case. Here however, we have several instances of location change and a linear moving plot that forms a sort of 'sub-text,' if you will. Anyway, it's an interesting and well written review about what I'm sure is an equally, if not more interesting book.

Sincerely,


-S

Click HERE to read the article.

Brief history of the Situationist International

This was my response to the article:

"This is an extremely interesting and quite engaging format to present a book review. I would enjoy seeing more articles written in this sort of scripted play/interview style. It gives a very good sense of the reader as a third party disembodied viewer constantly floating amidst the two characters like a spectre. We engage the text and therefore the “situation” presented to us with a more personally driven opinion. I find that I was able to participate (in the realm of thoughts) with the two characters as though I was there, constantly forming opinions and then having them altered as I continued listening to the two speak, but all the while I felt secure to stray from the path of their thoughts and even mine own. I felt protected by the fact that even if I were to physically speak my thoughts, my ideas aloud such trivial attempts to contribute would fall ‘silently’ on my laptop’s monitor. Truly, for me, this is a better way to present ideas, reviews, responses, etc."

No comments:

Post a Comment