"Speech is an arrangement of notes that will never be played again."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald


I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.
-Alan Watts

Thursday, November 3, 2011

My Morning - Reunited with a Friend

I had the pleasure of having one of the most enjoyable mornings today. I set out just before six to Joe Junior's on sixteenth and third avenue. The coffee is... so-so, as is the music but the food is delicious and the people are such characters. There I met and was therefore reunited with close friend of mine, Professor Robinson Lilienthal (Phd). I've included a Youtube video that contains a compilation of clips and excerpts from some of his many lectures. Almost exactly one year ago we met on the sidewalk of seventeenth street where he took me on a tour of roughly half the block and taught me about the history of the buildings and the architecture, the sculptural aspects and the neighborhood mentality.  This morning we spoke from our reuniting at the diner till nine o'clock and his topics, as always, held my fascination and intrigue till the very end. We spoke about a multitude of philosophical ideologies, the difficulty he's having in finding a third definition for religion because he in unsatisfied with the two takes society currently holds true. Those are that religion or the idea of the spiritual existence is wholly true and 'physical' and the oppositional idea is that it is strictly metaphorical. Among other things he also spoke to me about his love of the Peter Stuyvesant statue and it's direct influence in the creation of Melville's character Captain Ahab. If I were to report on everything we spoke about I'd undoubtedly be here for at least double the length of time he and I spoke. This is of course due to the fact that my skills as a typist are...somewhat lacking. Anyway, here's the video clip, I hope you all enjoy it. For those of you whom are my family members reading this and are familiar with another one of my close friends Mr. Richard Marcucci I have no doubt that you'll see a striking resemblance both in mannerisms as well as his vocal qualities.

Sincerely,


-S.







No comments:

Post a Comment