"Speech is an arrangement of notes that will never be played again."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald


I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.
-Alan Watts

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Return to Carl Schurz Park

There's something alluring about Carl Schurz park and I can't seem to put my finger on it.  I recently returned to my favorite park up on 86th street with a 4x5 press camera and some slide film. Having looked at my results using 6x6 negative film I decided that they insufficiently captured the 'essence' of the spaces to be found within the park.  Now, in my absent mindedness I found myself approaching the park under post-rain circumstances having neglected to bring a tripod with me.  If I shoot in color (4x5) I shoot ISO 50 speed film. I favored the clouds because the diffusion of light they provide allows the true feeling of the environment to come through and be transferred onto the film. We even get this sensation when we walk about just before or after a storm. There are no deep black shadows and no blaring highlights, the world has this extra-dimensional flatness to it which somehow manifests itself in our minds as a sort of expanded depth.  It's as if the already wide dynamic range (range of light values that can be recorded) of our eyes has been increased and the entirety of what's in front of us can be seen for what it truly is and what it truly holds.
My ONLY reservation with these clouds is that since I shoot ISO 50 on slide film a tripod is almost always necessary. In it's stead I wad to fabricate several on location tripods out of trashcans and other objects I was able to find while I was there. The only photograph to be shot 'handheld' is the photograph of the Triborough bridge in the background.

Enjoy.

Sincerely,


-S.

©SteveShilling 2011 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

©SteveShilling 2011 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

©SteveShilling 2011 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

©SteveShilling 2011 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment