"Speech is an arrangement of notes that will never be played again."
-F. Scott Fitzgerald


I have realized that the past and future are real illusions, that they exist in the present, which is what there is and all there is.
-Alan Watts

Friday, August 19, 2011

A Romantic Afternoon

"So shall we come to look at the world with new eyes. It shall answer the endless inquiry of the intellect, — What is truth? and of the affections, — What is good? by yielding itself passive to the educated Will. ... Build, therefore, your own world. As fast as you conform your life to the pure idea in your mind, that will unfold its great proportions. A correspondent revolution in things will attend the influx of the spirit."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

This was the calling for a revolution of thought, a protest against the state of culture and society put forth by R.O. Emerson in his 1836 publication Nature and is widely considered the catalyst that began the Transcendentalist movement.
(A digitized copy of the full publication can be found HERE)

This afternoon I spent my time taking pictures at an old abandoned and now nearly destroyed dairy barn. Though it's seen bette days it is more interesting to me now than it ever was.  During my time there today a storm set upon my town fairly quickly.  As the wind picked up and the lighting became more Romantic I found myself worrying about the fact that I only had about 3 rolls of B-2 (120mm) film on me. With my trusty Salut camera in hand I set to work.  I realized that I shouldn't be worrying about my film stock, rather, I should be enjoying the fact that with the onset of the breeze having cooled the area considerably, my time would be better spent admiring my overgrown surroundings...

Where I parked my car. The Parking garage, if you will.
The dairy barn.
The view from where I was sitting.
View while the storm approaches. 
What was going on above me.
I hope you also find moments that allow you to sit back and enjoy the awe inspiring beauty nature provides us with.

Sincerely,


-S

P.S. I will be posting a short video of the early stages of the storm and the lighting that took place.

No comments:

Post a Comment